Carmi Gordon

Welcome to my life. It's been a fairly gurgle gurgle kind of existence so far, but who knows. Watch this space.

Monday, February 06, 2006

Some thoughts on my name - Part I

So Carmi.
The story went something like this.
My mum was very pregnant. I didn't want to come out.
My dad was bunking off going to shul. He was fairly convinced I was going to come out the minute he left the house.
So he was reading the parsha at home when he saw the name - Carmi. He interupted the shower to tell Josephine that he liked the name. She paused, liked it too and that was the beginning of the tale.

It means - my vine. Which is fun. Particularly bearing in mind that I ust got to taste some wine at my brit this morning. Yum.

It also sounds like Corinne, the name of my mum's mum.

So, Carmi. I like it. Unusual, means something, has a good masorah, and feels lively.
My parents have been worrying that it might be a bit childish. But then again it sounds a little like the Ghanaian name, Kwame - which served Kwame Nkrudah pretty well, and Kwame Kilpatrick - who is mayor of Detroit.

So Carmi it is.
Michael slightly misheard, during my naming ceremony and introduced me to the masses as 'Tummy' which I suppose is going to be setting a trend of mispellings, mispronounciations and more, but Carmi it is.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home